masquerade: saul steinberg & inge morath


   

 

  

 
Ogni dipintore dipinge se, a Renaissance maxim ran: every painter paints himself. Steinberg's peculiar achievement has been to render this maxim, pruned of all expressionist content. What obsessively concerns him is the idea that each drawing remakes its author: it is a mask. The self-made artist is one of his favorite motifs, and certainly his most famous one: a little man grasping the pen that draws him. In this "self-portrait," artist and motif are fused, locked in a permanent logical impossibility that is also an ambition of poetry: Myself I will remake.

4 £:

Avalonne Hall said...

These are so creepy! I love them!!! You really are the Queen of Minimalism. Your blog layouts have been my favorite! :) I've missed you!

K said...

I love this collection & thank you :)

Bruce Barone said...

Wonderful!!!

The Maximilian said...

I love this.
Your blog is fantastic. Wish I'd visited it sooner!

Post a Comment